Saturday, May 16, 2015

Secrets and Spying

The Scarlet Pimpernel
By Baroness Orczv 
Genre: Historical Fiction, Classic 

"It is 1972 and France is in the grip of a seething, bloody revolution. Mobs roam the Paris streets hunting down royalists, barricades block any chance of escape, and every day hundreds die under the blade of Madame la Guillotine. But in the hearts of the condemned nobility there remains one last vestige of hope: rescue by the elusive Scarlet Pimpernel.

"Renowed for both his unparalleled bravery and his clever disguises, the Pimpernel's identity remains as much a mystery to his sworn enemy, the ruthless French agent Chauvelin, as to his devoted admirer, the beautiful Lady Marguerite Blakeny."

I loved this book! And lately, it's been hard for me to find books that I truly love. This novel had everything a good novel should possess: love, humor, excitement, and surprises that truly widened my eyes.

From the first page, I was hunting for this elusive Scarlet Pimpernel man, and when I realized who he was, I was completely surprised and elated. And the delightful surprises did not end there, but wait toward the end of the book like little treasures the author tosses at you. I don't know much (or anything, really), about Baroness Orczv, but this novel shows how clever and witty she is.

One of the few things I didn't particularly like about this novel was that the end seemed a bit brief. Don't worry, everything is tied up well, but I felt like with all that happens throughout the story, it wouldn't have hurt to elaborate on some of the events at the end. It seems like the Baroness (how fun to say that title) was just ready to be done spinning her tale.

Also, I wanted more interaction between the two characters, mostly at the end, for there was more to be said/done between them to my satisfaction. But, overall, this was a fantastic read, and I rate it a 4 out of 5. I recommend it for 15 year olds and up.

What I learned: Don't judge people, for you never know what's truly going on with them. The most likely costume/disguise is often the one that works best.

Readers who enjoyed this novel might also like:  The Count of Monte Cristo,  Legend, and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment