Saturday, March 24, 2018

We're a Long Way from Chicago

 A Long Way from Chicago
By Richard Peck 
Genre: YA Historical Fiction 

"Each summer Joey and his sister, Mary Alice-two city slickers from Chicago-visit Grandma Dowdel's seemingly sleepy Illinois town. Soon enough, they find that it's far from sleepy...and Grandma is far from your typical grandmother. From seeing their first corpse (and he isn't resting easy), to helping Grandma trespass, catch the sheriff in his underwear, and feed the hungry-all in one day-Joey and Mary Alice have nine summers they'll never forget!" 

This was a lighthearted, risible book that kept me laughing throughout its pages. I'm not sure, as I never read this book in elementary school, but I probably enjoy/appreciate its humor more now than I would if I had read it as a wee lass (there are no Scots in it, I just wanted to say that). 

Joey, the main character, doesn't have much of a character himself, but Grandma Dowdel more than makes up for it. She is by far my favorite character, and seems to always do what you don't expect. 

It's also fun to take a journey into early 1900 country life and see how difficult, yet still pleasant, life could be. I was surprised with the grandkids about how exciting life in a small town could be (not that I want to move to one now, however...). 

If you like this book, you also might enjoy its sequel, A Year Down Yonder, which is from Mary Alice's perspective, which is more stimulating than Joey's. Richard Peck has also written a spate more young adult novels, which I definitely wish to check out in the nearish future. 

I give A Long Way from Chicago a 4 out of 5 and recommend it for 10 year olds and up. 

What I learned: How to make soap (kind-of). 

No comments:

Post a Comment