Monday, August 20, 2018

Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity 
By Elizabeth Wein 
YA Historical Fiction 

"On October 11th, 1943, a British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. But just one of the girls has a chance at survival. Arrested by the Gestapo, "Verity" is given a choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution. They'll get the truth out of her. Only, it won't be what they expect." 

This book is a masterpiece. It's also a tear-jerker, so have a box of Kleenexes ready if you're one of those readers who melt into tears when something somber occurs. 

But veritably, Wein did an amazing job sculpting the world and characters of England and France in the 1900s. I can't fathom how much research she did, but it is (as much as I am aware of, which isn't much), spot on. Everything, from the airplanes to the scarves 'Verity' wears seems current to the time period. Her characters also make references to books and other media in thise time period. This was fascinating and definitely helped push the reader thoroughly into the characters' world, but it also sometimes was over my head, since I obviously didn't live in this era, and it frustrated me at times. 

Overall, though, this novel and the other Wein book I've read has caused my expectations of historical fiction to rise to Mt. Everest heights. Sorry, future historical fiction books I will read and historical fiction books I long to write; you just won't measure up. 

'Verity's' and Maddie's best-friend love for each other are as real and apparent as my husband's love for me. I can't believe they're not real! The characters charmed me with their British and Scottish slang, the way they played make-believe to incite their courage, and the way they fought through all the trials that confronted them. 

It did take a while for me to get used the narration style. The narrator is unreliable for an exceptionally good reason, but it did throw up barriers between her and myself. I also didn't relate to her personality as much as most characters in previous novels I've read; she's just wild. I much preferred the narration and personality of the other main character, Maddie. Too bad she didn't have much talking time! However, she features in the book, Rose Under Fire, so I'm quite excited to enter that story once I can get my hands on it. 

For all the above reasons, I give this novel a 4 out of 5. It would have been a 5 if I had not felt so left out of 'Verity's' mind. Again, it was for a good reason, but I do not enjoy the experience, nor am I used to it. 

What I learned: Writing historical fiction requires too much research! But in all seriousness, life is fleeting and short; it can leave us as easily and quickly as blowing out a candle. So what am I doing with mine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment